Lightheaded, double vision. How can it be resolved?

lightheaded and double visionmy boyfriend has been a bit lightheaded for the past two days and when watching tv he starts to see four eyes on people as opposed to two. it will happen on and off as he watches tv but doesnt happen when he looks at things off the screen
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 3 hours later

Thanks for sending your query to us.

Since your boyfriend is not having any problem while viewing things off screen the chances are that his problem is not significant medically. Such situations may arise primarily due to malalignment of eyes of viewer.

There are various groups of muscles in the eye which move the eye all around in a co-ordinated manner. Any disruption in this co-ordinated movement leads to double vision. At times if your eyes are not focusing properly then you may have small occasional double vision - if this is not all around, then it loses its significance. Here your complaint of light headedness may become significant.
Similarly some muscular weakness may lead to focusing defects leading to double vision.

What are to be done in a situation like this are life style management, healthy diet, regular exercise and proper rest. These three and some additions of multi vitamins to the diet should do the trick in his case.

If the situation does not resolve soon we would like to put him to certain tests. Your ophthalmologist can perform these tests on you if necessary.

Hope I have addressed your concern. Please do get back if you have any doubts / queries.

Follow-up: Lightheaded, double vision. How can it be resolved? 9 hours later
Now he is having this problem off screen. He saw me with two heads and started seeing double while driving...
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 8 minutes later
Thanks for getting back to me.

This is the ideal situation when we recommend proper investigations. This starts with a detailed eye examination including refraction, fundus examination and eye movements.

This is to be followed by CT scan or MRI of brain. Ideally you should directly see a Ophthalmologist in your area instead of wasting time at primary care physician.

Please do get back to me if needed.