Lightheaded, dizzy, sweaty, fainting. Headaches, anemic. Is it related to headaches?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
about a half hour ago, I stood up, and my ankle gave out under me, I got light headed and dizzy and sweaty, and started to black out. It was one of the worst times I have experienced this. I have been having severe headaches lately that last for several hours. I have occasional periods of "black outs" through out my life. I have also been anemic at time too through out my life. This time was just so servere. It lasted for about 3 minutes. I am not sure if it is realted to my headaches or not,
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 15 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Having gone through the brief history that you have provided here are few suggestions and questions related to your complains:

How long have you been experiencing severe headaches?
How does the headache get relived?
Is it associated with nausea and vomiting?
Is there any weakness in any of your limbs?
Is there any other symptom other than blackouts?

When was the first time you had blackouts?
Were the blackouts parallel to your history of anemia?
What is your last hemoglobin level?

Here is a basic understanding of your complains :
Your earlier blackouts can be related to your anemia, but now that you have severe headache, dizziness and sweating you need to get yourself evaluated

Yes the blackout you faced this time can be related to your headache

Best would be to XXXXXXX a neurologist and get yourself evaluated as per his advise

Anticipating your response.

Wishing you a speedy recovery
Follow-up: Lightheaded, dizzy, sweaty, fainting. Headaches, anemic. Is it related to headaches? 1 hour later
My headaches have been more severe for the last six months or so. I have always gotten headaches, but they have increased in the last 6-12 months.

I ususally take aleve, or tyelnol to relieve it, but most of the time this doesn't work very well. I have taken excedrin in the past, and seem not to respond to that either. I will also have a coke or something with caffeine. Sometimes the aleve and caffeine takes the edge off, but not for very long. (I am sensitive to light when I get these, and they start on one side of my head usually and occasionally will go to the other side. Loud noises really bother me too when I get these. I get them about 4 times a monthi, until I get my period and then I get them straight for about a week...I am assuming they are migraines.

I did get nausea when I had this last episode, and occasionaly I get the dizziness, sweating and nausea, even when I am just out sudden standing or anything. I had that happen about three days ago.
Usually no weakness in my limbs, excpet for this time, I couldn't stand, and my ankle get collapsing under me for about 30 seconds.

I have had black outs since I was a little girl (10-12 yrs)...occasionally they are worse at times then others, and I can go for months without experiencing them. NO doctor has ever said that they were related exactly, but I have always assumed they were.
I don't know what my last levels where, but I was put on iron pill a year ago, after giving birth to my last child. I don't take them very often, because they make me sick to my stomach
Thanks for any more adivce and I will look at seeking some more help here.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 13 minutes later

Thanks for posting your follow up query

Yes, the detailed account of events you have provided is suggestive of migraine

Actually coffee and coke needs to be avoided by patients of migraine

The best pain killer for you would be dispersible aspirin or tramadazole

Yet I would advise you take the medicine before the pain is establishe, usually the migraine patients can sense the headache before it takes their control

Regarding blackouts It would be in your interest to get evaluated by a physician

Anemia : Get a fresh hemoglobin level done and there are stomach friendly preparations of iron available to correct your anemia

Hope all clear
You may revert back if further clarification is needed or else accept my answer

Get Well Soon