Lightheaded, dizzy, and nausea after increasing Metformin dosage for type 2 diabetes. Connected?

Jan 2013

Hi, I am type 2 diabetic and my metformin has just been increased to 500ml 3x per day (increased 2 weeks ago)At first I experienced nausea but that faded after 3 days. All was ok untill yesterday ,since then I have been very ligtheaded and dizzy. Is this conected or something else?
Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
How much amount of metformin (now) are you taking?
What are the status of other vitals such as blood pressure, heart rate, respiratory rate?
Are you suffering from any other associated disease such as heart problems/ raised blood pressure/ disturbed lipid disorders?
Yes...Metformin has side effect of causing nausea within few days of start of treatment. This type of side effects are less with extended release tablets.
Other most common adverse effect of metformin is gastrointestinal upset, including diarrhea, cramps, vomiting and increased flatulence.
The most serious potential adverse effect of biguanide use is lactic acidosis but this side effects is very rare with metformin.
A such light headed and dizziness has not been described its side effects.
You should consult with physician/ endocrinologist and put your problems.
You should also go for lipid profile, renal function test, ECG, urine examination as preliminary investigations.
And you should also go for CT/ MRI scan of brain, 2 D Echo of heart and color doppler study of carotid artery if needed.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava