Light spotting, heartburn, cramping, gas. History of dermoid tumor in ovary. Chances of pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I have some questions about ovulation spotting and when ovulation occurs. My last period was August 14th 2012 and lasted 6 days. I have an average 30-31 days cycle and according to ovulation calculators I should have ovulated either the 29th -31st of August. my partner and I had unprotected sex on the 25th, 27th, 28th, and the night from the 31st to 1st.

On the 30th of August i had something that I have NEVER seen before, very light spotting. So I am wondering if that would happen before, during or after ovulation?

Also now I am cycle days 22 and I have been having heartburn for the past 3 days. some light cramping and I went running yesterday and had to finish it walking because I was cramping so bad. Then last night after eating I just felt so gassy and heartburn was really painful...

I took some zantac but it didnt help.

I am going to have an ultrasound done today because I have a history of dermoid tumors on my ovaries. So I just wanted to make sure. But I am wondering what are my chances that I am pregnant?

Thank you
XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 22 minutes later
hi XXXXXXX

the positive points for pregnancy in your case are,
-after removal of tumors you are having regualr ovulatory cycles,
-you planted unprotected intercourse around the time of ovulation,
-some amount of pain and bleeding are common during ovualtion which is called mittelschmerz syndrome,
more details:http://srsree.blogspot.in/2012/08/mittelschmerz.html
-the cramping you are having after around 1 week of ovulation may be because of implantation, the heart burn etc can be features of early pregnancy.

but here we have to remember one more thing that just by symptoms we cannot confirm or rule out the pregnancy,

so it is good to undergo ultrasound to rule out recurrence of dermoid tumors, as it is only around 3 weeks after your lmp you may not see pregnancy features in ultrasound except endometrial thickening, so wait for one more week and go for blood test to find out the possibility of pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Light spotting, heartburn, cramping, gas. History of dermoid tumor in ovary. Chances of pregnancy? 23 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Gouri for you quick and thorough answer. After I checked it was said that should be implanting until around thursday or friday.

But what I am wondering is why would I have ovulation spotting now when I have never had it before... Does ovulation spotting happen after, before or during ovulation. The ovulation spotting happened on Friday morning and was accompanied by a lot of cervical mucus on thursday night.

I do not have any other regular symptoms that I get during my luteal phase... sore breast or sensitive nipples. I did not get it even during the fertile days. I was feeling bloated after projected ovulation date though.

I am afraid that i am trying to spot too many things. But I am worried that it might be another tumor. I know the ultrasound will tell me that as well.

Thank you for any other information you might be able to give.

So i had an ultrasound done and my left ovary is 3 times larger (4cm in diameter) than it should be.

Can I still ovulate if i have a dermoid teratoma tumor again? Or is my fertility totally shot because of this reacurring issue.

Thank you
so my next question is can I still get pregnant this cycle even though i do have a dermoid tumor on my left ovary?
here is my next question... since i have a dermoid on my left ovary and i lost 25% of my right ovary... could i still get pregnant on this last cycle? I had all the regular ovulation symptoms i always get... the only thing i do not have now is breast tenderness which was also i symptoms when i was pregnant in 08... i usually get sore breast and i do not have sore breast right now

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 hours later
hi XXXXXXX

-spotting can occur during ovulation or just before and after,
-the features of ovulation can change form person to person and from time to time depending on things like hormonal factors, stress etc,

-size of the ovary can be increased because of many things like cysts, poly cystic ovary etc, if you mention the XXXXXXX characteristics of ovary given in the scan we can come to one idea regarding dermoid,

-even if you are having dermoid in left ovary as your right ovary is functioning(as after loosing 25% also you had regular cycles in the past) there is possibility for ovulation and pregnancy,
as I told symptoms can change and also with increasing gravidity means in second, third pregnancies etc the severity of symptoms will decrease usually,
in case of pregnancy the sonologist might have noted some increase in endometrial thickness usually,
so you once consult your gynecologist and take opinion regarding dermoid depending on scan finding, after blood test the possibility of pregnancy can be find out, depending on the two the treatment to be planned.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Light spotting, heartburn, cramping, gas. History of dermoid tumor in ovary. Chances of pregnancy? 1 hour later

Sorry for all the questions. But before going to take a shower tonight I went to the bathroom and when i wiped i saw some slight pink on the toilet paper. So i then washed my hands to try and touch my cervix... it is low and hard but there is definitely pink discharge. I have never seen pink discharge 1 week before my period is suppose to start.

Also on the ultrasound... please keep in mind i am in africa and the ultrasound machine might not be the best quality. but the doctor did not seem to think there was anything unusual with my uterus.... but now i am worried about the spotting.

Also the contents of the cyst was told to be organic in nature and it looked liquid filled. that is all i got.

Thank you for any more advice you can give me.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later
hi,

The possible causes for your spotting are,
-in case of pregnancy some amount of spotting can be seen because of increased blood supply to local organs but usually cervix will be little soft in case of pregnancy,
-presence of cervical erosion can cause spotting, sometimes cervical polyps can be present they can lie low in the cervix, can bleed and muscular polyps can be hard to touch,
-in ovarian tumors hormones producing tumors can alter the natural hormonal level and can lead to spotting but usually this is not seen in dermoid,

in case of simple cysts only liquid will be present, but in case of dermoid you can see solid and cystic elements, so possibly your doctor told this,

so you better consult gynecologist once and undergo physical examination which will possibly find out the cause for your spotting, then depending on scan findings, if she suggest you can go for MRI if available in your place, by this the complete picture and nature of ovarian mass can be found out and depending on that treatment can be taken.

Follow-up: Light spotting, heartburn, cramping, gas. History of dermoid tumor in ovary. Chances of pregnancy? 41 hours later
Thank you for your continuous help. I do have another question. I am now around 7 or 8 days past ovulation. I took a pregnancy test but is was negative.

I check my cervix and it is now soft feels more like my lips, closed and low.

I spotted on Monday and then again spotting all day today. Not enough to fill a panty liner. I stuck a tampon in to look at the color of the spotting and it is definitely light pink mix with cervical mucus.

Is it possible to have implantation bleeding 3 days apart?

I bought 3 pregnancy test so i will wait until Monday Sept 10th to test again.

Thank you so much,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 36 minutes later
hi XXXXXXX

urine pregnancy tests kits usually may not detect pregnancy this much early, so better to wait for one more week and go for blood test if possible or urine test,

implantation bleeding occurs due to embedding gestation sac into endometrium, so as that process continues spotting can continue for sometime.

as feeling of softness of cervix is subjective it can act as supportive finding but not confirmatory to pregnancy usually.