Light spotting and then bleeding, had unprotected sex. Can I be pregnant even though I do not know whether I had a period?

I started light spotting on feb 12th and starting bleeding on the 16th until the 18th. my menstrual is usually around the 24 or 25th of each month. Ive had unprotected sex on Feb 19th until 21st. my boyfriend filled me up atleast 4 times. we had sex atleast 5hrs straight on the 19th. can I be pregnant I dont even know if i even had a period? I have 2 children and Ive gotten pregnant on my period before but this time seem so different
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Radhika 24 minutes later

You had your periods on the 16 th till the 18 th of February. You had intercourse on 19th, and you say that you were not bleeding during that time. Your fertile period is around 10 to 14 days after your periods.

But if you had a long period, like for 10 days (you also had spotting from Feb 12th) and you had unprotected sex during this time (even if it was little spotting), then you might get pregnant. Some women will begin producing fertile cervical mucus during the last few days of their periods. Also if a woman ovulates shortly after her period ends or while she is spotting, she could get pregnant.

It is unlikely you will be pregnant .But you might need to do a urine pregnancy test 1 week after your expected date on 23 of March and see if you are positive or not.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up queries.

Follow-up: Light spotting and then bleeding, had unprotected sex. Can I be pregnant even though I do not know whether I had a period? 8 hours later
are you telling me that my period was on the 16th to the 18th. thats so irregular especially when I am expected to have my period around the 24th or 25th of each month thatlast for atleast 3-4days. I got pregnant before after having sex on the last day of my period. could I have been ovaluating because if I had my period starting on the 16th that would make my period close to 2weeks early
I also was spotting on the 19th and 20th but stopped on the 21st
Answered by Dr. Radhika 14 hours later

There are a few things that I'd like to explain here.

Let us suppose that you had period on 16th to 18th, such a pre-ponement of period once should not be worried about. In such a case pregnancy has the rarest chances. So I prefer you stay in peace. Regarding the previous pregnancy that occurred because of an intercourse during menstrual periods cannot be explained theoretically.

The second supposition is the bleeding from 16th to 18th and spotting till 21st is not period, then it is called inter menstrual bleed. If this is an inter menstrual bleed, we need to rule out pregnancy first in a young sexually active woman. So I suggest you to take a Urine pregnancy test first. If this is negative we need to understand the origin of this bleed with the help of a per vaginal examination by Gynecologist. I am still not worried about this bleed as this stopped now, but an examination will make things very clear.

There is a possibility of pregnancy since the intercourse was mid cycle (estimating your regular menstrual period). I also suggest you to take a pregnancy test if you miss the regular period which is on 24th of this month.

I hope I have addressed your concerns.