Light smoker. Have severe headache, pain in neck and eye. Took profinal. Looking for relief

Jan 2013

Hello Doctor
I have severe headache on my left side since morning. when i pressed left forehead it will reduce.. this pain is radating to back of neck. I took Tab Profinal 1 hour ago. sometimes pain was around the left eye, when i look downwards are turning. Actually this headache is on & off since 3 months. Im a light smoker since last 2 years.
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated details along with mentioned.
Do you have any aggravating or relieving factor for this headache?
What is the type of headache?
Do you have associated tears and running nose?
Do you have past history of injury?

There are at least 15-20 types of headache have been defined and diagnosis is made generally on the basis of history defined by patient.
With the available described details, there could be possibility of migraine.
Presence of one sided headache along with eye symptoms suggests the diagnosis.

Migraine is the most common type of headache and is a syndrome made up of multiple symptoms.
Migraine is associated with pulsatile type of headache, gets aggravated by lack of sleep, exposure to noise and sun light, excessive tea and coffee.

Tears from eyes and running nose is a feature of tension headache and at times, two sub types of headache may be present in a single patient.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ neurologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, CT/ MRI scan of head.

Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
Meanwhile, you should take sumantriptan along with naprosyn, divalproex and propranolol on written prescription from your local doctor.
If naprosyn alone is not able to control headache, then you can also take ergotamine and tolfenemic acid.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Light smoker. Have severe headache, pain in neck and eye. Took profinal. Looking for relief 14 hours later
Thank You doctor.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Get well soon,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava