Light, short periods, clots. Is this normal? Lower abdomen pain, have cyst

I have been having very clotty but light and short periods lately. Is this normal? I have had a cyst recently could this be the problem? I have a lot of pain in my lower abdoman and feel very full in there
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

It sounds like hypomenorrhoea.
Hypomenorrhoea , also known as short or scanty periods, is extremely light menstrual flow.
The causes include: ovarian cysts can cause lighter periods in a small number of women with this condition, so this may be contributing to your symptoms
use of oral contraceptives, depoprovera,IUD
asherman's syndrome (the presence of scar tissue or adhesions in the uterus, this usually occurs in women who may have a history of previous D and C (dilation and curretage)
excess physical activity or inadequate nutrition can also cause hypomenorrhoea
hormonal problems such as excess of a hormone called prolactin, thyroid hormone abnormalities, or abnormal level of the reproductive hormones
Hypomenorrhoea is normally investigated , if thought necessary, by blood tests and imaging if the doctor thinks this is warrented. If a significant abnormality is found on investigations then this is treated (like your cyst) , in most cases nil is found and only reassurence is given.

Ovarian cysts can be associated with pain if the cyst becomes larger, bleeds , breaks open , reduced blood supply or contact is made during intercourse. It can also be associated with bloating (hence the full sensation that you are experiencing), you may also experience pain during bowel movements and after and before a menstrual period.

Most cysts tend to resolve after 8 to 12 weeks , so hopefully you should feel better soon. Your doctor may suggest repeated ultrasounds to assess the size.If it does not resolve then surgery may be considered.

I hope this information is helpful to you, feel free to ask any other questions