Light periods, negative pregnancy test, bloating and swelling of breasts. Am I still pregnant?

May 2013
Hi, My period was late in the month of XXXXXXX It was due XXXXXXX 4 and came XXXXXXX 22 but was very light. I took two pregnancy tests during the time leading up to my period. The last was XXXXXXX 13. Both were negative. I normally experience bloating and swelling of my breasts when I have my period. This month the bloating/ swelling did not go away. I did experience something similar when I was 18 and did not get my period for 3 months. I am wondering if i might be pregnant still? If not, what else might it be? I did lose some weight in May as a result of the flu and I am fairly small. 115 lbs at 14% body fat and 5'5".
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

the possible causes for your delayed period are,

-recent weight loss and/or illness can cause disturbance in hormones at the level of hypothalamo-pituitary-ovarian axis leading to alteration in menstrual cycle,

-your hypomenorrhea(scanty flow during periods) may be also be because of these

-and also less body fat can also lead to these problems.

few women sometimes experience symptoms like breast tenderness, bloating sensation for longer periods in cycle,
as you had two negative pregnancy tests the possibility of pregnancy is less,

anyhow you once visit gynecologist and undergo,
-blood test for pregnancy to rule out,
-physical examination,
-ultrasound to find out the cause for your irregular periods,

with this basic workup you can possibly find out the cause of your problem and treatment can be taken

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.