Light period, brown bleeding for a day and then stopped. Stomach growing. Pregnancy test negative. What should I do?

General Surgeon
Hi I have some concerns about being pregnant I am healthy 29 year old who has a normal menstrual cycle and for the first time my period was very light and it only last for one day it stareted out red turned brown and i completely stopped bleeding.

I have also noticed my stomach is growing I took a hmpt and it came out negative what should i do or can i still be pregnant
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Sometimes scanty menstruation does occur with pregnancy. Pregnancy tests may be positive even before a period is missed and sometimes, the test may be negative in very early pregnancy depending on the home pregnancy test kit. You can wait for 10 days from the day of onset of scanty period and get another test to see it is negative or positive.

In either case please consult the gynecologist and get a checkup done. Bulging of stomach in very early pregnancy is not visible unless the gestational period is more than 12 weeks.

Hope I have answered your question. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.