Light patch on forearm, itching, reddish. Is it due to almond oil?

I suddenly developed a light coloured patch on my right forearm. (It is not as white as it is in luceoderma) It is similar to the colour of patches children get on their faces. This was on XXXXXXX 1st. Now small patches the size of 2mm are appearing around the same patch. There is also a long patch about 3-4 cms that is slowly losing the normal skin colour and becoming like the first patch. There is slight itching on the areas surronding the patches and it is slightly reddish. I am not sure if it's becasue of the almond oil I have been rubbing onto it.

I was accutane for about 7 months in 2008-2009. I did not suffer major side-effects except for dry skin and tanning. I also suffer from Allergic rhinitis and take meta spary for it. Haven't had any major side-effects. I also used Deriphylline once a while for my asthma. Do you think this is Vit-B12 deficiency or anything more serious?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

You have provided with good information regarding your skin problem and it is a very good description. I appreciate it.

I understood your problem however it would be good if you can answer few of my queries:
1) Is there any history of photo-sensitivity (aggravation of itching on exposure to sunlight)?
2) What is the exact location of these patches (is it on the outer part of the arms)?
3) How is the pain sensation over the patch?

Kindly reply to these these questions and also if you can post me a picture of the lesion then I can suggest you better.
You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.
With history what you have submitted ,there seems to be a possibility of Polymorphic light eruption (PLE) ,which is nothing but allergic reaction to sunlight.

This generally manifests as hypo-pigmented patches over extensor aspect of the arms and is associated with mild itching.

You should not worry much for these, but then you should use a good spf sunscreen daily over both arms. Over the patches you can use a mild steroid cream for few days which would relieve you off the itching and the patch. Strict photo protection is must.

This condition doesn't seems to be serious at all and its not related to Vit B12 deficiency either.

But if you can reply me with the answers and the pictures, I would be able to suggest you better.

Awaiting for your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.
Follow-up: Light patch on forearm, itching, reddish. Is it due to almond oil? 23 hours later

I unfortunately don't have an image of the patch, but I was diagnosed with a slight hypo-thyroid condition yesterday. Do you see any link between my skin condition and the thyroid issue? Nobody in my family has this problem although my father suffers from rhinitis too. Also I was wondering if this was a fungal condition as I got after a trip to the beauty parlour for waxing. I am not sure because it is present on the extensor region of my right arm only. I see a small tiny patch developing on the left hand, but it is very small and I am unable to make out if it is the same problem. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 14 hours later

Thank you for the reply,

Hypothyroidism and this particular problem have no relation apart from the fact that hypothyroidism can cause dryness of the skin.
If I had seen the picture, then I would have been in a better position to guide you.

According to the history, it seems to be a polymorphic light eruption which is a sun induced reaction.

Usually fungal infections are not bilateral (seen mostly on one arm) and are never so abrupt. So the possibility of it being a fungal reaction is bleak.
However, an allergic reaction to sunlight can be bilateral and is always on extensor aspect of arms and is seen in some people coming back from a short trip or a vacation (especially a visit to a beach or a water park).

It is important that you get the condition diagnosed from a dermatologist and get it treated accordingly. I would again request you to send me a picture, if possible.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.