Light-headedness, high BP, cold hands. Taking methimazole for hyperthyroid condition. Causes for elevated BP?

Question
Having lightheaded spells elevated blood pressure and cold hands shivering under treatment for hyperthyroid on methimazole my thyroid levels are fine. 44 year old female 185lbs. My blood pressure is usually normal - but elevated when lightheaded 155 over 96 when lightheaded. Usually 128 over 83. I'm not changing a positions when it happens. My resting heart rate is65
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Radhika 3 hours later

You are undergoing treatment for Hyperthyroidism and you have cold hands with shivering with increase in blood pressure during dizziness.

Normally we do not see cold hands and shivering in hyperthyroidism instead there will be heat intolerance and sweating. Other common symptoms that are seen are nervousness, increased heart rate, weight loss.

Thyroid hormone normally increases the force of contraction and the amount of oxygen demanded by, the heart muscle. It also increases the heart rate. For these reasons the work of the heart is greatly increased in hyperthyroidism.

Cardiac symptoms can be seen in anybody with hyperthyroidism, but can be particularly XXXXXXX in people with underlying heart disease. The reason for your increased blood pressure will be the forceful cardiac contraction which in turn increases the systolic blood pressure.

It is better you have a physical examination to check for any underlying heart disorder too. Dizziness can be caused due to reduced hemoglobin which can also cause palpitations. You can do the following investigations like lipid profile, ECG (Electrocardiogram), complete blood count, renal profile.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.

Wish you good health.