Light green odorless vaginal discharge, itchy vaginal area. Trichomoniasis?

Oncologist
Question
Hi, I have light XXXXXXX odorless discharge and the vaginal area is very itchy. Is this trichomonas? If so, is it ALWAYS transmitted sexually or can it be picked up in other ways?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 18 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Of course a discharge like this is not normal and usually reflects an infection of either bacterial, fungal or parasitic origin. It is impossible to guess what the cause is without the benefit of examining you and performing a microscopic exam of the discharge.

In the absence of being able to do this you could try an over the counter preparation to treat a possible fungal cause. This would be clotrimazole and is used once daily at bedtime for at least 3 days. It is a topical cream actually which is inserted into the vagina.

I suspect however that what is causing this is either bacterial vaginosis or possibly a sexually transmitted disease. For this reason I recommend you see your doctor as soon as possible for an examination and appropriate medical management. This will usually respond quickly with a properly selected antibiotic. Trichomoniasis can cause these symptoms and is always transmitted sexually. Again there is no way to diagnose this is the absence of an exam and sample of the fluid discharge. I hope you understand this aspect.

I thank you again for the query and hope you found my response to be both helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Light green odorless vaginal discharge, itchy vaginal area. Trichomoniasis? 7 hours later
I was diagnosed with Trichomoniasis about 2 years ago and my OB/GYN stated that this "parasite" can be found in the environment and it was no cause for alarm (although I initially was very frightened as I was under the impression I was involved in a monogamous marriage). The OB/GYN stated that this could be transmitted through wet towels, bathing suits, etc. Could this be true or should I be changing physicians?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your follow-up question.

Regarding trichomoniasis I suppose it is theoretically possible that it could be transmitted via use of wet towels or community bathrooms. However, I really have not seen this in practice. I suppose it could be related to geographic location and environment. The short answer is yes it is theoretically possible but it is not common.

Also it could be possible that previously you had a very low level of trichomoniasis in your body and it eventually progressed to a symptomatic standpoint. I don't think it is time to worry very much about this right now but it is more important to try to address what is going on currently.

The other important point is that if you are involved in a monogamous relationship and you have trichomoniasis your partner must also be treated. I expect that your partner was treated at that time as well. If not this is a possible source of the current infection.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

I also do not think that you need to change her physicians right now. I would continue to follow up and share your medical history with this physician .

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert