Light brown spots,purple spots on neck

Question
I have one tiny light brown, kinda purple spot on my neck that doesn't blanch when pressed. Should i BE CONCERNED? I noticed it two nights ago. No other spots.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 54 minutes later
Hello.

A light brown purplish spot on the skin not blanching on pressure is most likely a mole. If this is the first time that you have noticed the spot then you need not be alarmed.

You only need to self monitor the spot for any change in size, color, pain, irregularity of margins, ulceration, etc.

If any of the above changes appear then you need to contact your dermatologist for the further investigations and treatment.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Regards.

Follow-up: Light brown spots,purple spots on neck 10 hours later
Thank you for your help. I do have other moles and this doesn't fit the normal circular mole. But more like an age spot I would see on an older person. I still have no other spots. I'll continue to monitor it for changes. When should I contact my doctor? Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

You need to see your doctor when any of the detrimental changes appear, increase in size of the moles, structural changes or you want it to be removed for cosmetic reasons.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.