Light brown patches on head. Normal for teenagers?

My son is 14 years old. I have noticed few light brown(flat) patches on his head, different sizes. Is not Itchy or painful, just doesn't look nice. Has had them more less for last three years. Is that somethong normal and common for teenagers? Or shall be concerned?
Thank you
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later

Asymptomatic Light brown macule over face of 14 year old teenager: this description fits to give diagnosis of lentigenes or freckles.

But following questions need to be answered.
1. Is your son fair? I mean are you white ?
2. Do these spots show any seasonal variation? worsening in summer?
3. Does he have them on trunk and covered parts of the body?
4. Do you have family history of such spots.
5. Can you send his photos?

You can mail me the photos to YYYY@YYYY with subject:ATTN Dr XXXXXXX Please do confirm the sending of the photos by writing here, so that I can reply you back at the earliest.

Meanwhile maintain the sunprotection. Use broad rimmed hats, good Sunscreen (SPF 30 or above.)
Treatment options include hydroquinone, chemical peeling, laser surgery.

A visit to dermatologist will confirm the diagnosis and he will suggest you the treatment accordingly.

Please reply back with the above answers and mail the photos as this will help me in answering you better.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Light brown patches on head. Normal for teenagers? 31 minutes later
Thank you for your reply, but my original message stated these brown light spots are on his head under his hear - not on his face.
That's correct - we are fair skin, but those spots look like giantic freckles and they don't change through out the year. None in my family has had a similar case.

Thank you
Kinfd Regard
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 6 hours later

Thanks again.

These spots could be solar lentigo or lentigo simplex/ephelids. They are usually harmless conditions.

Are they present over his body? Can you see any pigmentation over his oral cavity/lips?

A good picture of the lesion can help me in a great way to confirm or rule out my comments. It would be great if you could send a picture to my attention on YYYY@YYYY

Perhaps visiting a dermatologist can confirm the diagnosis. A proper treatment and management could be planned accordingly.