Light bleeding started after unprotected sex. Is there any chances of pregnancy?

Question
Hi

I had an unprotected sex on 23rd Oct and took an ipill on 24th. My menses last happened on 14th Oct. I have a cycle of 24-28 days generally. Now I am down now starting from today but I have a very light bleeding unlike before. Can you tell me if there is still a probability that I will be pregnant. And what needs to be done to test the same.
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 21 minutes later
Hello there.

There should not be a probability of pregnancy considering that you have started your menses.

But I-pill is not 100% protective. So you have to keep that in mind.

I-pill can cause early and light periods due to hormone side effects.
So you had an early period now.

If you have a very light period and it stops within two days then you need to test for pregnancy.
You can do a urine pregnancy test 2 days after your expected date of menses that is around 16th November. A urine test is usually positive on the first day of missed period.

I hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Light bleeding started after unprotected sex. Is there any chances of pregnancy? 42 hours later
Hi

My bleeding just ended today(after 2 days) and its spotting today. Can it be a cause of implantation bleeding. I am really not ready for pregnancy and am little scared. What can I do from here. Is there any blood test required. Please note that I generally have a cycle between 24-28 days.

Please help
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 39 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

The possibility of implantation bleeding is only if you are pregnant.
This bleeding occurs 10-14days after fertilization.

It takes around 4 weeks for a urine test to be positive if pregnancy has resulted from an unprotected intercourse.
You can test 4 weeks from your sexual act. If negative just repeat the test a week later to be absolutely sure there is nothing.

You can also do a blood test for beta hcG which comes positive even before urine test. It is an expensive test compared to urine test.

However even if you test a bit earlier, the outcome and management if you want termination is not going to differ.
So do not panic.

I hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Light bleeding started after unprotected sex. Is there any chances of pregnancy? 10 days later
Hi
Yesterday I took beta hcg test and it came out to be <0.100 miu/ml.Can you please suggest how to go about this? Would this mean that I am pregnant? My menses dint start yet. I took a urine test earlier this week and that came out to be negative too.
Please help and suggest.

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 45 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

No, your present blood beta hcG level do not indicate you are pregnant.

Levels under 5 mIU/ml are considered negative for pregnancy if you have not tested too early.
Considering your last menses date of 14th october, it is not too early for your blood test to come negative.

In case you do not menstruate in a week's time then you can repeat a urine test for pregnancy.
If negative, consult a gynecologist for appropriate medication to induce periods.

The delay in your cycle could be due to i-pill use.