Lifting weight. Taking creatine supplement. Found elevated creatinine levels. Side effect ?

Hello. I lift weights for exercise and have for a couple of years. For the first year i was lifting i was taking a creatine supplement off and on. During a visit to the er i had blood drawn and my serum creatinine level was 1.6. I was advised to stop taking my supplements and to follow up with my pcp. After one month my level came back down to normal. I have not taken any supplements since due to fear of developing renal disease. I have read conflicting evidence and stories about elevated creatinine levels and creatine supplementation. Is it unsafe and should be avoided, or is my temporary elevated level a normal expectation with chronic supplementation due to increased intake?
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 2 hours later
It is unlikely that protein supplements alone would be responsible for increased creatinine. Normal kidneys have enough reserves to take care of that.
1. There was a temporary drop in kidney function at that time due to either some meds or infection (im not clear about the reason for your visit to ER)

2.It could be a lab error.

3. An existing mild weakness in the kidneys, and a rise in creatinine due to protein supplements.

You need to recheck the creatinine, get a urine analysis and ultrasound of kidneys.

Warm Regards
Follow-up: Lifting weight. Taking creatine supplement. Found elevated creatinine levels. Side effect ? 9 hours later
Ok. Thank you. Just to clarify however, i was not taking protein supplements. I was taking actual creatine monohydrate. With this being a precursor to creatinine i was unsure if that makes a difference or not.
Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 7 hours later
Creatine also will lead to an increase in creatinine, however with normal kidney functions it should not happen.
Since a detailed assessment of your kidneys has not been done, avoid supplements till then.