Life span of a stage 3 CKD patient

Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 28 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Regarding chronic kidney disease at stage 3 it depends on how the management of the condition is handled. With a creatinine of 1.8 and management by a nephrologist a patient can live many years without a problem. If the condition progresses ore a number of years dialysis may be considered.

At this point dialysis is not a consideration. The nephrologist will optimize the management of the kidneys and will work on managing blood pressure as well. Maintaining a good blood pressure is essential for good kidney function.

From what I see in the medication list this patient is on a number of excellent medications which work in concern to both optimize blood pressure and maintain kidney function.

In summary stage 3 CKD should not be regarded as something that is going to disturb quality or quantity of life at this point. I am glad to know that a specialist is on the case and I encourage you to followup closely with him as recommended.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be adequate and informative. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga