Leukemia,chemotherapy,red spots on right arm.

In full remission from leukemia since Mar 2011 after completion of chemotherapy. In Apr bld counts were,
HB: 11.2L,
WBC: 5.4,
Platelet: 216,
RBC: 3.37L,
Haematocrit: 33.1L,
MCV 98.1H,
MCH: 33.1H,
MCHC 33.7,
RDW: 27H,
MPV 8.8
Neutrophil: 68.2%, 3.68
Lymphocyte: 12.9%L, 0.70L
Monocyte: 16.7%H, 0.90L
Eosinophil: 1.3%, 0.07
Basophil: 0.9%, 0.05
On saturday discovered some red spots on right arm. Went emergency dept for a blood test. i have no other symptoms besides that.
HB: 12.2,
WBC: 4.42,
Platelet: 128L,
RBC: 3.64L,
Haematocrit: 37.7,
MCV 103.6H,
MCH: 33.5H,
MCHC 32.4,
RDW: 21.2H,
MPV 11.5H
Neutrophil: 76.1H%, 3.36
Lymphocyte: 16.7%, 0.74L
Monocyte: 5.2%, 0.23
Eosinophil: 1.8%, 0.08
Basophil: 0.2%, 0.01
emergency dr is advising me to retake the blood test on monday. If platelet continues to drop, i may have to be admitted as inpatient. I am worried about retaking my blood test on monday and would like to have some peace of mind if you can answer some of my questions
My question is: 1) Is it not normal for platelet to yo-yo around even after 1 mth from chemo? 2) What does it mean when my neutrophil is high?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Blood Cancer(Leukemia)
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 3 hours later

Yes, it is normal for the platelets to vary during and after chemotherapy. It is best advised to check platelet count regularly as your platelet levels are reducing and rightly advised by your doctor to retest it on monday.

As your platelets level range is around 128L, it would not be a cause for worrisome at present but platelets level falling below 50,000 can lead to bleeding complications.

Raised Neutrophil levels are sign of Bacterial infection or Malignancy. It is also seen in high levels in Heart attacks, Burns and in people on prednisolone medications.

Hope this answers your query, In case of any doubts I am available for follow ups.

Wish you a good health.