Letters looked sharp, then fuzzy during eye exam, couldnt recognise letters. Has vision gotten better or worse?

At my eye exam, my eye doctor had me look at a row of letters on the wall through a lens and told me to tell him when the letters look blurry. The letters looked sharp, then fuzzy (but I could still recognize what the letters were), and then so fuzzy that I could not recognize what the letters were anymore). When the eye doctor told me to tell him when the letters look blurry, was I suppose to tell him they are blurry when the letters were fuzzy but I can still tell what the letters are or when I could no longer recognize what the letters are? After I told him when the letters looked blurry, he began asking me if lens 1 looks clearer than lens 2 and if lens 2 looks better than lens 3.
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Accommodation is a process by which the eye changes optical power to maintain a clear image (focus) on an object as its distance varies.This happens by stretching of the fibres holding the lens which brings some difference in the lens thickness and its optical power.
Accommodation acts like a reflex, but can also be consciously controlled.

When there is defect in accommodation you will exactly feel the way you had during the test.The lens power is normal hence you can view the letters ,once you try to accomodate to make it more sharply visible , you fail to accomodate and the letters start appearing fuzzy.

There are many conditions which present this way.Do discuss with your Opthalmologist about the same ane be specifically examined for accomodation reflex defects.This may help you to arrive at a conclusion on your eye health.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Letters looked sharp, then fuzzy during eye exam, couldnt recognise letters. Has vision gotten better or worse? 23 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thank you for your response. Can you please recommend any eye exercises that I can do to strengthen a crossed eye and an astigmatism?

Has my near vision gotten better or worse? Two years ago my prescription for the right eye was Sphere -4.50, Cylinder -1.25, Axis 007, and on my left eye the sphere is -3.50, cylinder -1.50, and axis 002. Yesterday, my prescription for my right eye is sphere -4.50, cylinder -1.50, axis 003, and my right eye is now sphere -4.25, cylinder 1.50, and axis 180.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 16 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Milder forms of squint could be corrected by regular extraoccular muscle exercises.This involves moving the eye opposite to the side of deviation.Atleast a set of 30 movements has to be done 4 times a day.

The cure for astigmatism would purely depend on the type and the cause.

The readings provided by you are almost expected changes seen in a regular spectacle user.There is a mild increase in the requirement of power in the left eye, but I would not consider it significant.

Wish you good health.