Less lubrication, itchiness, excessive discharge, vinegar smell, low-trace leukocytes, negative nitrites, negative blood. UTI?

I recently had intercourse with less lubrication than usual. Intercourse became uncomfortable and felt dry. The following day I started experiencing some mild itchiness (comes and goes, pretty easy to ignore), slightly increased discharge (clear to pale yellow) with a mild vinegar smell the next day which has now disappeared. My labia are not swollen or red. I checked my urine (not clean catch) with home test strips with a result of low-trace leukocytes, neg nitrites, and neg blood. Could this be a UTI or are the leukocytes and itch from healing due to the uncomfortable intercourse? Note: we have been tested for STIs and are negative. and we used a condom brand that we have used for years and i have had no prior reaction.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 34 minutes later

The mild itching and increased discharge could have been due to vaginitis or infection of the vagina or due to friction rub or chafing. Get a vaginal and cervical swab done from a gynecologist to confirm the diagnosis.

However presence of leukocytes in urine is indicative of hence it is better to get a complete urine examination and a urine culture done. Since you are having uncomfortable sensation in the labia when you pass urine, infection of the urethra also needs to be ruled out. Urethritis is swelling and irritation (inflammation) of the urethra and the diagnosis can be made by the proper collections of urine specimens from both the urethra and the bladder. These specimens will reveal the presence of white blood cells in the urethral washings, while the midstream (bladder) specimen will be free of cells.

I suggest you to get urethritis and vaginitis ruled out from a gynecologist. Till then, abstain from intercourse for a few days, take plenty of fluids and sit in warm non soapy water. Also consult a doctor for antibiotics prescription if the symptoms persist. In future also, urinate immediately after intercourse to flush out the bacteria and ask your partner to indulge in plenty of foreplay or use lubricant jellies.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.