Less growth of mustache. What are the treatment available?

sir, i reside in palladam near coimbatore.. i have the problem regarding my mustache. i have incomplete growth of mustache . due to which i always feel discomfort.please advise me regarding this problem. i would like to know more about the treatment options available for this problem. please suggest me about the treatment cost and place nearer to me where i can undergo those treatments
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 47 minutes later
I would like to know if your moustache always had sparse hair or you noticed hair loss in central portion(philtrum) later on?

This sparse hair growth could be due to alopecia areata or some infection if developed later in life and it could be genetic or constitutional if present since puberty.

Answering the above mentioned query would ensure that I help you out in a better way as far as treatment is concerned.
Hoping to hear from you soon. Take care.
Follow-up: Less growth of mustache. What are the treatment available? 9 minutes later
thanks madam.the hairs started growing in this type only. i haven't had any infection at all.but in my family some of us having less facial hair growth. i feel it could be genetically related . so please advice me how to proceed to get rid of this problem.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
The pattern of hair growth, density and texture of hair depends upon race, hereditary factors and hormones.
As far as hormones are concerned testosterone is the male hormone promoting hairgrowth. So lesser hair growth can be seen in males with lesser levels of this hormone. However same can be ruled out clinically if a male is having adequate axillary, chest and pubic hair, has normal sexual life or erections, has a male baritone of voice etc. If required hormonal levels can be done and if low, testosterone injections can be given to rectify levels and induce hair growth.

In your case I suppose, the cause is hereditary. In such cases with time once a person reaches his 30s or 40s hair growth improves. As it is something that is genetically determined nothing much can be done. However some experts in dermatology support the use of minoxidil solution to promote facial hair growth as it is also androgen dependent hair growth( though there are no studies to prove efficacy). However you may try minoxidil 5 percent solution over sparse hair areas to see if it helps.

At the same time, I would advise not to think or stress to much about the same. Do not waste time visiting doctors for the same as the cause being hereditary, we have very limited choice.You look fine, with time your moustache growth would become dense and thick. So stop being worried.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be any doubt, feel free to write back.
Follow-up: Less growth of mustache. What are the treatment available? 15 hours later
thank you madam. actually im a veterinary doctor working as technical consultant. till now i never worried about this problem. but i sometime get blocked by this. is there any chance for hair implantation?, so that some kind of correction can be made.please dont mistake me. just wanted to know. thank you for your timely given answers. take care madam.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 4 hours later
Hair transplantation can be done in hair less area. Usually scalp hair are taken and implanted in the devoid area. Two to three hair are implanted at time. The only drawback is that as scalp hair grows faster than moustache hair, the transplanted hair need frequent trimming and very slight textural change though apparently unnoticeable is there. You may contact a cosmetic surgeon to discuss the procedure and cost in Coimbatore itself as now hair transplant has become a common procedure these days done by most of the cosmetic and plastic surgeons.