Ask a Urologist   »  

Lesion on the penis with scab formation. Used hydrocortizone. Need permanent cure?

Dermatologist
Question

I have what's assumed to be a friction rub on the head of my penis. I have recently been masturbating without any lubrication and this is a condition I have seen before, but it was years ago. I notice that I can only see this condition or feel it when my penis has become erect. When my penis is flaccid there is no visual irritation noticed. I have tried to use hydrocortizone 2% and this hasn't worked at all. I have recently gotten tested for std's and have all come back negative so that's not the issue. I've sent you a picture. I do not feel any pain, irritation or itching, but when erect the irritation on my penis head feels like tiny scabs. Should I buy aloe vera or tea tree oil? I just want this to disappear. Thanks for your help.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,

I've seen your photo.

It appears to be healed lesions of friction rubs with scab formation and mild inflammation of glans penis called Balanitis.

You can apply a mild steroid antibiotic combination like Eumosone G cream.
A combination of beclomethasone and neomycin cream will also do.
Alternatively Aloevera lotion can also be used as it has anti inflammatory properties.

Avoid masturbation and be gentle on your penis.

Hope this helps. Write back if you have additional concerns.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Regards.
Dr Sudarshan.

Follow-up: Lesion on the penis with scab formation. Used hydrocortizone. Need permanent cure? 22 minutes later
What can I go to the local drug store and buy?

I just need to know what I can go to the store and pick up according to these items below that you were referring too:

(You can apply a mild steroid antibiotic combination like Eumosone G cream.
Alternatively Aloevera lotion can also be used as it has anti inflammatory properties.)

I need something I can buy today. Whatever you recommend.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 20 hours later

Go for Aloevera lotion as it has anti-inflammatory actions and is available without prescription.

Other preparations may require prescription even though most topical agents are available over the counter.

Regards.