Lesion on penis. Could this be some sort of fungus?

Dec 2012

I have a lesion on my penis and don't know what exactly it may be. It is not a blister, it does not hurt, there is no discharge. Is it possible it is some sort of fungus. I was originally thinking it might be herpes, but I have no other symptoms. My girlfriend said she is subject to yeast infections, but who knows if that is the truth. I have not had sex with her for several months. Also it was precipitated by painful sores under my tongue, which went away after about a week.
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: I will consider herpes as most likely culprit Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX Your description makes me suspect that the lesion is more of herpes rather than fungi infection of the penis. Herpes may present without pain or soreness and could just be a vesicula and/or pustula lesion of the penis shaft. Fungi infection is usually flattened or papula lesions that might equally be itchy (usually itch). Vaginal yeast infection hardly or rarely affects the male sexual partner and I am quite positive that you might not be suffering from yeast infection (at least not from your partner). I will be interested in seeing some photos and see if I can distinguish with higher probability which particular diseases condition is responsible. Some other lesions such as penile papules might exist and might not necessarily be harmful. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Feel free to write any follow ups. Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Lesion on penis. Could this be some sort of fungus? 51 minutes later
The lesion was always flat and it is somewhat healed, looking shiny as compared to the other tissue and a slightly lighter color and completely smooth. My camara will not show the detail and another such sore I had at the same time is now invisible.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: if flat then yeast infection is likely culprit Detailed Answer: Thanks for updating, if the lesion is such as you describe, then it is most likely a penile yeast infection. But you should not worry much given that the lesion seems to have healed. Try doing some further observation and if recurrence, please do inform a health care provider to take a look. You can apply some topical steroid creams (e.g betamethasone cream) to help clearing off the lesion. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah