Lesion on forearm, swollen, leaking pus and fluid. Is it a cyst?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have a lesion on my forearm i have been having for awile this morning it swole up
pus and fluid came out i would like to know is it a cyst
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi there.

I understand your concern for this problem that you are facing.

I have reviewed your attachment of the photo of the lesion.

Kindly do answer a few questions for me to be in a better position to help you.

Are you a diabetic ?

Have you had similar lesion as this on your upper back ?

The lesions appears to be that of severe folliculitis or infection of the hair follicle or it could be a collection of few folliculitis lesions called a carbuncle. Carbuncles are commonly seen in diabetic patients, so kindly do get checked for this.

The lesions appears to be highly inflammed and ruptured this exuding pus and debris. You will need medical attention for this lesions to prevent spread of infection to the rest of your forearm and hand.

Presently you may apply antibiotic ointment like Fucidin which may facilitate healing, once the lesion is cleaned and debrided well.

Kindly do not hesitate or delay. It definitely needs medical attention. You may seek help at an Emergency Department or your Dermatologist for proper care.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Lesion on forearm, swollen, leaking pus and fluid. Is it a cyst? 9 hours later
no im not diabetic last time i had a check up didn't show anything
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 5 hours later

Thanks for the reply.

Do follow the instructions as mentioned for best results. Keep the infected area clean and dry. Avoid trauma or pressure to that area as well.

You may try applying antibiotic ointment as suggested but it would be best to consult a Dermatologist or Surgeon to evaluate your condition and decide management options which may need wound debridement to facilitate proper healing with minimal repercussions.

Wishing speedy recovery.