Legs giving out from sitting to standing and sometimes running. Cause?

Nov 2013

my legs giving out from sitting to standing sometimes running symptoms staying 30 secs
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be dyskinesias or seizures

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

In this case, the symptoms are episodic and last only for 30 seconds. Therefore, the differential diagnosis and causes of this would be conditions, that can cause episodic brief symptoms. I am assuming that the patient is normal in between the episodes. If patient has symptoms such as muscle weakness all the time, then, we need to consider other diagnosis.

There are two possibilities:

1. dyskinesia, especially paroxysmal kinesigenic dyskinesia. in this condition, abnormal movements of legs occur while in movement, and may lead to fall. Symptoms last for a few seconds, and may occur several times per day.

2. seizures, especially atonic or Myoclonic type. Seizures are also brief episodes, and patients are normal in between the episodes.

An EEG may be done for further evaluation.

Carbamazepine may be a good drug to start, if EEG is normal.

I hope it helps. please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist