Legs and arms feel weak and sore, low libido and and no erection. All blood test normal. Suggest?

legs and arms feel weak and loss of strength.have every blood test you could think of and all clear.sending me to a radiologist.not convinced he can help.some times feel shaky inside.the latest problem in the last 3 month is my sex life is gone.cant get an erection and if I do its only for a minute.not sure if the problems are connected.would like some advice please.
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Perhaps I can help.

Detailed Answer:
While I mainly take care of women as an OB/GYN, I believe that regardless of gender, I would make the same suggestions:

You are a 45 year old otherwise healthy male with a history of progressive upper and lower extremity weakness and now with added problems related to genital erection. This is an extreme simplification, I am sure.

A Radiologist is not the right specialist to figure out what is going on. Yes, they can perform imaging to evaluate the anatomy, but you need someone who is going to look at this more wholistically. The systems that might be involved include:

1. Neurologic - weakness, loss of sympathetic tone (related to erection)
2. Hematologic - to rule out blood borne diseases (probably been done)
3. Infectious - testing for things like Lyme disease should have been done
4. Rheumatologic - there are systemic connective tissue diseases that could certainly manifest in this manner, for example Lupus
5. Urologic - loss of erection related to blood flow to genitals during erection

So you hopefully have an XXXXXXX Medicine doctor who is coordinating all of this. My gut feeling is that the next stop should be with a Neurologist and/or a Urologist. These two specialists could address the main complaints related to weakness and loss of erection and give some input on causes - where they overlap in their recommendations is where the cause might lie.

I hope that this helps!
Follow-up: Legs and arms feel weak and sore, low libido and and no erection. All blood test normal. Suggest? 6 hours later
thank you for your help.i will go talk to my doctor again.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 days later
Brief Answer:
You are very welcome

Detailed Answer:
If there are any followup questions, please direct them to me, Dr. Raichle, and I will be happy to help!