Leg wound, discharging clear fluid, soft itchy skin, burning sensation. Using iodine solution. How can I heal it faster?

I have a leg wound that continues to ooze clear fluid..i have an existing wound that is being packed with inadine--but have developed an allerg yto the tap and such, and every time a new nurse come to drss the wound she puts sprays and tapes over the surrounding skin, which causes my skin to be soft and itchy, and i canthelp scratching:( i know its bad to scratch but it itches and now the skin is oozing clear liquid and it burns like hell..What should i put on there so it heals fast?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Radhika 25 minutes later

You have a leg wound for which you are currently being treated with Iodine solution .Now since you are allergic to the tape you have itching.

If you feel the tape is causing the itching you can tell the nurse just to wrap the bandage around your leg and then apply the tape on the bandage, so that the tape does not come in contact with your skin.

You can also take Benadryl syrup 2tsp twice a day for the itching. Since you have Diabetes, your wound will take some time to heal. If your sugars are high, it generally takes a longer time to heal. Iodine solution is the right treatment, other than that your Physician can prescribe you Antibiotics to heal faster.

Avoid scratching the area; this will cause spread of infection. If it is too intense you can ask for antihistaminic or Hydrocortisone injections.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.

Wish you good health.