Leg spasms, poor muscle tone and strength, anti-inflammatory not helping, taken Tylenol. Will magnesium help?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Plea
I'm a 50-year-old white female, very healthy but have always had poor muscle tone and strength. Going back 15-18 months, I have had progressively more trouble with leg spasms, many times starting as high as the sacrum and I can feel it into the soft tissues of my butt. It's nothing visible other than many times I can't either sit or lie still but you don't see anything going on with the muscles. I can feel the muscles drawing up tight. Tonight it's so bad I can hardly sit still. Anti-inflammatories don't seem to help. I just took a Tylenol PM - not sure if it's going to help or not. I have no trouble during the day and it's much MUCH worse if I get any kind of exercise which seems strange. I've seen where magnesium might help and I've wondered if I need to drink more water but right now, it's acute and I need HELP.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi there.

Do you have back pain near your spine region ?

Any weakness of your legs or feet ?

Any fever, headache, tingling sensation over the legs or feet ?

According to the clinical picture, it appears you may be having a possible neuromuscular disorder. This can be due to numerous causes. If you have an associated backache, it could be because of possible slipped disc.

Since the pain is not getting relieved with anti-inflammatory drugs, it is possible the pain could be muscular or nerve damage related.

Firstly, you will need to maintain good electrolyte levels in your body to avoid this problem. Eat a balanced diet XXXXXXX in proteins and fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do a daily warm up session for 10 minutes before you attempt any exercise. It would be best to do brisk walking for 40 minutes a day. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily.

You may take a Pain killer and muscle relaxant combination called Tablet Zerodol MR or Tablet Mobizox-P or any medication with Diclofenac and Chlorzoxazone. Take the tablet twice a day, after a meal, with a glass of water. The medication must be taken under medical supervision.

Also get smooth massages on the painful areas by a qualified masseur.

It would be best to consult an Orthopedic Surgeon to get a full examination to rule out slipped disc and other causes of this problem and decide the best management.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Leg spasms, poor muscle tone and strength, anti-inflammatory not helping, taken Tylenol. Will magnesium help? 11 hours later
Many times I have that same spasmotic sensation down my lower back as well. It just feels like my muscles draw up tight and then won't relax but there's nothing visible. I have not had any fever or headache or tingling but I probably do have some weakness of the legs and feet. Actually the muscles in the back side of my body feel "tired" a I've done extensive exercise but I haven't. I assume the medications you've mentioned are all prescription. Are you aware of anything over the counter that would help relax muscles but not give the "hungover" feeling? I seem to be very sensitive to muscle relaxants as far as how they affect cognition, etc.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 8 hours later
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply.

Since you have these muscle spasms over your lower back and lower limbs it could be related to specific problem in the nerves or the spine. Possible irritation or compression of the nerves in the back can cause this problem.

I would advise you get a consult with a leading Orthopedic surgeon to find the cause of these muscle spasms in your body and decide the best management for you.

You may apply over the counter pain and muscle relaxant creams which may of alternative medicine therapeutics like Ayurvedic or Chinese medication. This will have some benefit until you see your Orthopedic surgeon for cure.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wishing speedy recovery.