Leg slipped and fell down. Large hard lump appeared. Should I be concerned?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My leg fell under my while trying to take about a 3 foot step down off a platform and my leg slipped fell underneath me and I fell ontop of it on a slight edge. Immediately a large hard lump appeared. Is it ok?
Posted Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us

This lump most probably formed due to haematoma (which is a collection of blood) formation which might occur due to fracture.

Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an physician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim,apply ice packs to the affected area, you could take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. You can take Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required with food (upto 4 tablets daily). Avoid putting weight on the affected limb and rest well.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you speedy recovery...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.