Leg pain, numb, surgery, pins and needles in buttocks and testicles, sharp tingles in toes

General Surgeon
I had L2-L3-L4-l5 fusion on 5/18. I am experiencing pain in both legs. Left out thigh has been numb since surgery. Pins and Needles in both buttocks both calfs on the outside and sharp tingling and pain in all my toes. Usually Big and 2nd toe and little and 4th toe at different times. Also my testicles have pins and needles all the time.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 4 hours later

As you have been operated on18th may for fusion of L2 to L5.

In the initial post surgery phase some inflammation or edema do occur ,which can cause nerve compression and the sign & symptoms of nerve compression as you are facing following spine fusion.

Pain in both legs and toes ,numbness in the thigh ,pins & needles in both calf ,sharp tingling sensations and pins & needles in the testicles indicates nerve compression,what ever may be the cause .

As it is post surgery ,so it indicates some compression is there ,it may disappear after the passage of time .

But the multiple spinal fusion is not free from complications and side effects

The most common risk of spine fusion surgery is the failure to relieve lower back pain symptoms or persistent of pain after the surgery.

Chances of this complications to occurs is 20% of spine fusion surgeries.

The chances of complications becomes more frequent with fusions of three or more levels.

This outcome is commonly called in medical science to as “failed back surgery syndrome”.

There are chances that the vertebrae may not fuse together following the surgery, leading to the formation of so called pseudoarthrosis.

This happens in approximately 5% to 10% of spine fusion surgeries.

people who smoke have a lower rate of successful spine fusion

Pedicle screws if used may break or become loose and patient don`t gets desired relief

All spine fusion surgeries do have some chances of complications.

But the complications occur infrequently.

The complications that occur include those associated with any other surgery, such as infection, bleeding, and anesthetic complications.

Potential complication of multiple spine fusion in the lower back includes damage to any nerve .

Major loss of the strength and sensation to the legs or persistent pain or loss of bowel or bladder control can occur.

Although it occur in very few patients .

In some male patients with anterior fusion of multiple lumbar vertebrae , complication of difficulties with ejaculation have also been seen . Retrograde ejaculation have also been seen in few patients.

As ejaculate follows the path of least resistance, so it occurs in the urinary bladder.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”