Leg pain, no swelling. Doppler normal. Could a doppler miss a clot? Concerned about clot moving

Infertility Specialist
I had pain in my leg on and off for a number of weeks, lower calf with no swelling just pretty intense pain, I bugged my doc for a doppler after she was convinced it was a calf tear. She ordered the doppler and by the time they got me in for it the pain had somewhat started to subside. Fast forward now to a few weeks later and I low and behold have the same pain again, I started to work out but have been careful to not injure my calf in any way. Could a doppler miss a clot? It was from my groin to leg and they said they didn't see one. They said I wasn't in any of the major risk areas

I am just concerned that maybe the clot had moved? and is now back again? I worked out a bit a few days ago and did some rolling with a foam roller, around the areas that hurt a bit

I am 150lbs and 5'9, overall healthy with no family history of clotting

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 6 hours later

I have read your problem and I understand your concerns.

First of all let me reassure you that this pain maynot be due to thrombus (clot). Clot generally does not cause such pain for so long time on & off basis. Chances are very less as doppler has also didnt not find any clot.

It appears more like sprain of calf muscles. The sprain could have occurred during your work outs, jogging or anyother routine activity which you may not have noticed.

Hence I advice you not to take up any sternous activities for few days. Because the muscle takes time to heal back to normal. If you workout on the calf or do sternous activity healing will be affected.

So give absolute rest to calf muscles. apply ice packs if its hurting. dont workout for 2 months. Do routine works only.

Adequate rest to calf would heal it up soon.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available to answer any other queries you have.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol