Leg pain, muscle twitch, ear pressure, enlarged neck glands, wrist pain, cut thumb with kitchen knife

Hi, 7 days ago, I cut my thumb with a kitchen knife. I went to the urgent care, and they cleaned it and stitches it up with two stitches. They asked when my last tetanus shot was, and I told them about a year ago, I had gotten one before leaving the hospital after having a baby. (I failed to mention at that time that a week after leaving the hospital, I was admitted again for an infection and was treated with about three different iv antibiotics)

Three days after I cut my thumb, I felt like there was pressure in my right ear, and my glands in my neck felt like they were enlarged. That day also, the base of my thumb hurt as well as that wrist. I dismissed everything as allergies and soreness from holding my thumb funny to protect it.

The next day, I noticed that I was feeling small muscle twitches all over. That evening, my lower legs and feet hurt really bad. My feet felt like when you get a cramp in them.

The leg and foot pains have continued, it is worse in the evening, and the pain seems to have spread to the backs of my upper legs as well.

My question is, should I be concerned that this could be tetanus, or should I feel confident that my last shot was effective?
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 2 hours later
Thank you for writing in.
Its unlikely that your symptoms are due to tetanus. It usually takes about 21 days for symptoms to develop and secondly, the shot you received during pregnancy would have protected you. We usually recommend a booster shot every 5 years.
In addition, tetanus is caused by the spores of a bacterium which are found in soil or manure. Since it was not a dirty wound, it is extremely unlikely that you have tetanus.
Your symptoms can be due to simply anxiety or due to an electrolyte disorder. Try and have plenty of fruits and vegetables and take an oral rehydration supplement. If your symptoms still persist after 1-2 weeks, I'd suggest that you see a physician and get an electrolyte level ( particularly serum calcium ) done.
Hope this helps. I would be available for follow ups.
Follow-up: Leg pain, muscle twitch, ear pressure, enlarged neck glands, wrist pain, cut thumb with kitchen knife 38 hours later
Thank you so much for your reply. I have been feeling better since yesterday.
Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 8 hours later

Good to know that you are feeling better.

If you liked my answer and wish that I answer your queries in future, post your queries here:
Do close this discussion if you do not have any further queries for now. Your feedback is appreciated.

Thank you and Wish you good health and happiness.