Leg pain during night, twitching. Is this a serious medical condition?

Pediatrician
Question
My wife is complaining of a throbbing pain in the calf musceles/lower back leg. She feels this more during the night time and is leading to sleep lose.
She also has this twitching of legs (in very periodic intervals) when she is fast asleep. She does not realise that she is moving her legs but it keeps moving every minute or so. This condition has been there for about a year now.

My questions are:
0. What would be your medical advice for this condition?
1. Is this a serious medical condition which needs to be checked by a specialist?
2. If I should consult a specialist, then what speciality should I be going to?
3. Are there any doctors that you can advice me to consult in SE Bangalore or online through this portal.

Thanks in advance.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

This condition though commonly may be attributable to low calcium or low water intake, but if it is disturbing sleep you may need to look out primarily for other causes which may need surgery.

Here are the answers:
1. What would be your medical advice for this condition?
Take good amount of rest. Pin point the painful or twitching areas and see if these issues get repeated at the same point repeatedly. Drink plenty water, keep your legs above 2 pillows while sleeping, which will reduce congestion in legs.

2. Is this a serious medical condition which needs to be checked by a specialist?
It doesn’t appear to be serious from the limited description given here. But if it affects walking and other daily activities and if the issue lasts more than 30 minutes at a stretch, there may be underlying serious issues like say XXXXXXX vein thrombosis, arterial thrombosis, varicose veins or infection, that needs to be looked for.

3. If I should consult a specialist, then what specialty should I be going to?
Consult a general surgeon if the pain is around muscles and an orthopedic surgeon if pain is around joints.

4. Are there any doctors that you can advice me to consult in SE Bangalore or online through this portal ?
Yes, you need to contact the health care magic team or write to them via email to YYYY@YYYY . They can arrange for a doctor near your area.

Only when surgical causes are ruled out you may be referred to a physician for treating with medicines. There are certain conditions called limb movement disorder, restless leg syndrome which need better workup by the doctor to confirm the diagnosis.

I hope this answers your query, let me know if you have further queries.