Leg often trembles when sit down. Appears to be a nervous tremor. What could it be?

When I sit down, my leg often trembles. It appears to be a nervous tremor vs. anything else. It is a nuisance and it does embarass me.
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 1 hour later

Thank you for writing in.

There are many causes for trembling of legs while sitting. It should be emphazised that clinical examination and detail history is needed to arrive at a diagnosis of tremor of legs.

From neurological perspective ,at your age one need to rule out parkinson's tremor where tremor occurs in legs more on resting,and sitting.Other causes are essential tremor, postural/orthostatic tremor,restless leg syndrome,and any distress to leg (knee pain, tightness of limbs)also can cause leg to tremble,other than nervous tremor.

May I know few things to help you better.Do you have any slowness of movements(bradykinesia)?Does tremor occurs in other parts of body (hand, head, tongue)?Any unsteadiness while walking?Any other neurological symptoms?(like weakness, sensory symptoms in leg)

You should consult Neurologist for clinical examination and may require imaging brain to rule out structural damage.Treatment depends on clinical findings.

For parkinson tremor anticholinergic is drug of choice, rest of the other causes of tremor responds to propanolol (once local causes has been ruled out)

Hope I have answered your query

Dr Sandhya Manorenj

Hyderabad ,India