Leg injury, pain while walking and sitting, pain in lower back. How to reduce the pain?

Question
hi there... i injured my right leg at the gym a while ago, the pain went away for months and now it come back, it is a severe pain when walkign or sitting down but no problem when i workout. Now the pain from my leg spread to my lowerback, the pain in my leg actually decrease. It is very painful on my lowerback when i cough, sneeze or lift any leg... Please HELP :)
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

The symptoms that you are having can be due to prolapsed intervertebral disc. It is a condition affecting the spine, in which a tear in the outer, fibrous ring of an intervertebral disc allows the soft, central portion to buldge out.

The majority of herniated discs will heal themselves in about six weeks and do not require surgery. Non-surgical methods of treatment are usually attempted first, leaving surgery as a last resort and in this non steroidal drugs, lumbosacral back support and steroid injections are very useful.

First of all, apply warm compresses and take some MRI spine done to confirm the diagnosis. Apart from that there are epidural steroid injections, ultrasound therapy used to warm the area, which in turn brings blood flow and healing nutrients to the area or osteopathic manipulation.

Please consult an orthopedic surgeon and discuss these treatment options with him. Till then, do a combination of strengthening, stretching and low-impact aerobic exercise after consulting a phsyiotherapist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Regards.

Follow-up: Leg injury, pain while walking and sitting, pain in lower back. How to reduce the pain? 16 minutes later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX

thanks for your reply.

Can i please ask few more questions :)

When i work out, it seems like it eases a lot of pain, so am i OK to work out as usual?

What kind of stretching i should be doing.?

thanks

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 22 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

It is not advisable to work out in a gym without a physiotherapist's guidance when you have slipped disc. Specific exercises are supine alternate hip hinges, bosu bridges which engage the inner abdominals, gluteals and hamstrings and prone stability ball back extension. But please do these exercises under a physiotherapist's guidance otherwise it may aggravate the condition.

Regards.