Leg injured, pain in groin, detains physical activity

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a healthy 62 year old male, 5'11 and 200lbs. I injured myself doing leg presses during a workout about 5 months ago and I am still feeling pain in my inner right leg/groin. The pain is most intense when I stand from a sitting position, when I walk and push off my right foot and when I press inwards with my right leg. There is no swelling or discoloration. I had a similar injury about a year ago which healed within a month. I am concerned with the length of time it is taking to heal. I walk daily but have stopped other leg exercises.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 5 hours later

Based on your symptoms and its duration, I think you might have had a muscle tear in your thigh.
There are various grades of muscle tear viz-
muscle strain- the fibres aren't torn
Muscle tear- partial and complete tears of the muscle.

I need to know which of these grades you had. Did you hear or feel a snap when you had that injury?
Exactly where is the pain located? groin/ upper thigh/ Buttocks/ lower thigh?
Though you dont have a bruise now, was there bruising at the time of injury?
Please describe how you injured yourself in detail.

Kindly answer these questions and I will be able to help you better.

Anticipating your response.

Thank you.
Follow-up: Leg injured, pain in groin, detains physical activity 44 hours later
I did hear/feel a snap when the injury occured.
The pain is located in my inner upper thigh, right where my thigh meets my torso and is sensitive to about six to eight inches down my leg. I do not have as much pain in my groin, but it does hurt a bit.
I did not have any bruising at all.
I was doing a leg press exercise with 470 lbs on an exercise/weight machine.
The exercise machine holds your body in a sitting position with your legs higher then your body. The legs are bent to the chest and push on a metal plate until they are extended, but not locked. The injury occured when I pushed on the plate.
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 14 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for writing back.

I appreciate the precise details of the incident you provided. If you heard the snap on pushing the plate, your quadriceps (Rectus femoris muscle- to be precise) has snapped off its origin from the pelvic bone.

If the diagnosis is true, you may notice weakness in extending your knee. There might also be a small ill defined bump down your thigh if looked for carefully.

The diagnosis could be confirmed by an Orthopedician using an Ultrasound or MRI. If you are finding the knee weakness annoying, it would be worth opting for reattachment of the avulsed muscle tendon.

I would advise you to have a long warm up time before commencing workouts.
For the pain, get anti-inflammatories prescribed.
Don't stress your thigh muscles by avoiding long walks or running, till the pain settles down.

If the symptoms don't subside, kindly visit an Orthopedician at the earliest.

Hope I have answered your queries. For any other doubts, I will be available for follow up.

Wish you good health.

Thank you.