Leg got swollen and bruised, small fracture, shooting pain. Should further treatment be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Last year I slipped on a boat dock while getting off the boat. The first leg that I put on the wet dock slid out as I was going to step on and I fell hitting the XXXXXXX of my other leg and scraping it down the side of the dock. It immediately was swollen and bruised but I could put all of my weight on it and had regular range of movement. After about 2 weeks it seemed to have cleared up except there is a hard bump that feels like it is the bone that was not there before. It has gradually gotten smaller over the last year but still, to the touch, feels a little different than the other leg. About a month after this happened I asked my PCP about this and they said more than likely it was a severe contusion and possibly a chip or small fracture but that it had been so long there was nothing really to do. They problem that I occasionally run into and it worries me is that when I stand up from a long sit at my desk there is a weird shooting pain like feeling for the first couple of steps. It does not really hurt as much as its uncomfortable. Its similar to what it feels like when your foot "falls asleep". Is this something that should worry me and/or is there anything to be done about it?
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
The shooting pain that you are feeling on standing is not likely to be related to the lump on your XXXXXXX It is likely to be due to nerve root compression at the level of spinal cord due to prolonged sitting.
An MRI of the spine will help in detecting any damage in the area. Consulting an orthopedician for a detailed examination and appropriate investigations will be helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Leg got swollen and bruised, small fracture, shooting pain. Should further treatment be done? 1 hour later
I have frequently pulled muscles in my lower back. They have done X-rays twice and have come back with no bad results. I will take your advice on the MRI though. How serious of an issue do you think this could be? Like I said it happens maybe once or twice a week. Is this something that would need surgery?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
This is likely to be a minor nerve compression which is likely to resolve by physiotherapy. Taking methylcobalamin supplements on regular basis for 3-4 weeks helps in resolving mild symptoms like yours.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.