Leg, feet and ankles swollen. Using compression hose, no use. Had broken ankle and torn meniscus. Is this the cause for swelling?

both my lower legs ,feet and ankles have been swollen for the last month, my lab work came back normal. they are swollen after a good nights sleep and get larger as the day goes on . I am wearing compression hose which helps some but soon as I take them off they swell more. I have had a previous broken right ankle which required six screws and a rod about three years ago and a torn meniscus in the left knee two years ago that is causing problems , could this be the cause of the unexplainable swelling. I know I will eventually have to have more surgery on both but I was trying to hold off a while longer but the swelling and pain in my feet and ankles are really getting to me. what do you suggest?
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear patient

Thanks for your health concerns. Given that heart failure, from either poor contraction or relaxation of the heart can have swelling of the legs as a symptom, I believe it would be prudent to investigate that possibility further. In clinic patients that present to me with such complaint, I usually obtain an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) to evaluate that possibility. Other diagnostic causes could be worsening of your kidney insufficiency, liver problems (but you said labs were normal) and the most common for sure, venous insufficiency and varicose veins. Your prior trauma could make you more susceptible to the later. I would contact your primary physician to explore these possibilities

Hope that helps wish you the best.

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN