Leg cramps at night, especially after bowling, am diabetic.

i am diabetic and often suffer leg cramps during the night that wakes me and takes walking around before i can lay back down. They can be either in the back of my thigh, calf and even from my foot up the front of my XXXXXXX bone. I bowl 3 leagues a week and seems to happen on nights after bowling
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 42 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand your leg cramps are of concern.

The drugs you are on (Pioglitazone and Metformin) have one thing in common. That is the side effect of muscle pain. Although a minor issue with very few people experiencing it, it is a mentioned problem.

Now, this muscle metabolism - you would know how important it is especially in a diabetic; on top of that to lead a normal life of a sportsman that you already are - especially when the demands are high (like when you are bowling) the utility functions are not purely perfect due to your diabetes. But, the drugs are helping in the uptake of glucose in the demanding muscles.

The problem comes when the demand is excess - hence you get these cramps only on the nights after the bowling, which subside eventually and get you going for the next day of bowling. You will need some minor modifications of your style of playing - perhaps you discuss with a trainer.

And a good warm up, before you start the game sometime helps.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.