Leg and back pain, hernia surgery, discectomy, lumbar interbody fusion, spinal canal stenosis, MRI scan

My NAME is XXXXXXX XXXXXXX AGE 34 MALE I have a back pain in my right leg since when I was age16, that time I consulted a doctor he advised to me you take a rest sleep straight l& he taught some physically exercise to me then I did exercise everyday for my leg after I could walk & run and have a good sleep & I never feel I've got a pain, 18years later this year January I was doing some hard work so I felt physically not fit, again I gone to the Doctor I consulted he told me you’ve got a right side hernia & he suggest for go to surgery so general physician had done the surgery for hernia after surgery I was taking rest few days later I 've got severe back pain and again I consulted to the ortho surgeon The orho surgeon suggested to me, you do the Discectomy + lumber interbody fusion +pedicle screw.
Now I would like to know from you , doctor should I need this surgery ? or other if then give me suggestion for treatment what kind of surgery I need …..

Mri scan report is shown L4-L5 disc shows moderate to large postero-central herniation compressing nerve roots And causing severe spinal canal stenosis (6mm). Mild left foraminal stenosis is noted.Rest of the intervertebral discs are of normal morphology with no evidence of desiccation, bulges or protrusions. The exit foramina are normal with no evidence of nerve root impingement.Bilateral intervertebral foramen regions are normal. Bilateral exiting nerve roots are normal.No facetal hypertrophy seen . Posterior ligamental complex is normal. The conus ant the cauda equine appear normal. No mass lesion seen . Epidural spaces are normal. Pre and para vertebral regions are normal.
L4-L5 disc moderatae to large postero-central herniation compressing nerve roots and causing severe spinal canal stenosis

Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Your intervertebral disc at the level of L4-5 has herniated which is causing nerve root compression and the symptoms. The treatment suggested to you is correct but whether the surgery should be done or not depends on various factors.

I would like to know a few more things which will help me in suggesting you better:
1. May I know the severity of the pain on the scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is the least pain and numbness in the fingers or legs?
2. Is it hindering your daily routine life?
3. Are you taking any treatment like pain killers, etc?- Is the pain completely relieved or not?
4. May I know your occupation? Is it a heavy physical work?
5. May I know the Medications you are taking at present and also the doses?

Please reply me as knowing the answers of the above questions will help me in suggesting you better.

Anticipating an early response.