Leg amputated below knees. Had a heart bypass. Why do my buttocks itch? Is it varicose vein?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a 64 year old male (123 kg) with my left leg amputated below the knee and spend a lot of time sitting down, I have had a heart bypass 6 years ago. when my stump gives me trouble I spent more time sitting and during these times I get burning ichy pain down both buttocks (mainly the left side) is this likely to be varicose veins. looking forward to your reply
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later

The burning itchy pain in the both the buttocks after sitting is likely to be due to spondylottic changes in the spine which cause the nerve root compression at the spinal level.

These are age related degenerative changes in the spine and are progressive in nature. Your symptoms are not suggestive of varicose veins.

Adequate bed rest and physical therapy is the mainstay of treatment.

Improvising your posture while sitting will be helpful in retarding the further progress of such changes.

For symptomatic treatment taking methylcobalamin supplements will be helpful.

Doing a MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) scan of the lumbo-sacral spine will help in confirming the diagnosis.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.