Leg ache with swelling, pitting edema in ankle, extreme tiredness, had anemia

I have pitting adema in my right ankle for the past seven weeks my leg aches at night and in the morning the swelling has gone but as soon as I walk around it returns I am also extremely tired I suffered from severe anemia a few years ago and I feel the same level of tiredness now I am a female 45yrs old 5ft6inch 12stone 9lbs so over weight and am not active is this down to my weight
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 22 minutes later

Thanks for the query. I have noted your problems.

Since how long ago do you have this edema?
Is the oedema extending up over your legs?
Do you have any calf muscle pain when you walk?
Are the calves swollen and painful?
Any abdominal distention /Any shortness of breath or cough?

As you said you suffer from pitting oedema over the right ankle which is aggravated on walking and relieved on lying down, this oedema is quite specific to a group of conditions namely, low protein in the body, chronic severe anaemia, varicose vein, liver and heart problems.

Anemia is known to cause pitting oedema especially if it exists for a long time. This can also be associated with low blood pressure and possible protein deficiency.

You need to get a few tests to find out the cause which can then be treated. It would be best to consult your Doctor and get a thorough clinical evaluation first. A few blood test such as blood cell counts, haemoglobin, haematocrit, kidney function tests, liver function tests, stool sample for parasites, and so on are entailed. Arteriovenous doppler scan of the right leg may also be needed if blood tests come up normal. I encourage you to consult a competent physician and get these test under their guidance.

In the meantime, you need to eat a diet XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. Eat high protein diet like cereals, pulses, chicken, eggs, lean meat.

Maintain healthy lifestyle. Graded compression stockings can be applied to the limbs and might be helpful. Limb elevation over two pillows will also be useful in reducing the edema.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.