Left testicle is swollen and painful. Should I go to the ER?

My left testicle is swollen and painful. I have minor pain in my upper groin (left side). What are the likely causes and should ii go to the emergency room?
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes. Need to visit emergency room.Testicle support

Detailed Answer:
Hi thanks for using XXXXXXX

Yes. You need to visit emergency room once.

Pain and swelling may be due to any injury to testis or infection. Infection usually associate with other inflammatory signs and even fever.
Severe pain may be even due to torsion of testis. You need to visit your doctor ASAP to rule out this as it can cause permanent damage if delayed.

For now use testicle support by elevating them and avoid any manipulations in testes. Take NSAID like Ibuprofen 400mg for pain and visit your doctor.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them.
If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well.
Wish you a very happy life and good health.