Left sided head pain, joint swelling, pain in right hand, cervical spinal problems, wants to do X-Ray, MRI scan. Treatment ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
serve pain I have bad headaches on the left side of my head. I also have joint swelling in my right hand up to my elbow.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 10 hours later

The symptoms you have mentioned are very limited and could mean a variety of things like-
1. Increased blood pressure,
2. Cervical spondylosis,
3. Type of arthritis namely rheumatoid or gouty,
4. Joint infection.

These are few common possibilities out of a lot more conditions. To be sure what exactly you are suffering from, we need you to provide us some answers-
1. Age, sex, height, weight.
2. Profession.
3. Any major illness for which you are taking medicines.
4. Any history of fall, trauma, accident.
5. Since how long have you noticed the swelling?
6. Do you get any feeling of tingling numbness in right hand?
7. Currently are you taking any medicines for this or have undergone any investigations? If yes then please specify the reports.

I shall be able to help you once I'm sure of these facts.
Thanks for posting your query. Good day.
Follow-up: Left sided head pain, joint swelling, pain in right hand, cervical spinal problems, wants to do X-Ray, MRI scan. Treatment ? 2 hours later
27 5'7 235. nursing no illness. no trauma. 2 weeks. yes I do have tingling and numbness. no
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 2 hours later

Thanks for your prompt reply.

The symptom suggests you have pathology of the cervical spine. This needs evaluation by your Orthopaedician. A preliminary X-ray is required to be taken. This would show the spondylotic changes like disc space reduction, facetal arthropathy, spine straightening etc. If these changes are noted, you have to get an MRI done to see the pressure changes in spinal cord and nerve roots.

While you get an appointment, here's what you can do to avoid further degeneration-

1. Sit upright all the time.
2. Discontinue use of pillow immediately.
3. Go to your nearest physiotherapist once your headache stops and ask them to teach you neck isometric exercises.
4. Avoid lifting weights and heavy objects.
5. Under the guidance of your physician, take anti inflammatory and muscle relaxant medications.
6. Try finding out what activity of your daily routine causes or aggravates the pain and avoid doing it for few days.

Hope this answers your query. Feel free to write if you have more questions.