Left side head ache for a child, asked to wait for symptoms. What causes this?

Hi my 2 and 9 months child for the last 6 days holds her left side of her head and cries for about 10 seconds. no symtpons then stops crying. I have taken her a&e but they didnt do anything and to said watch for any symtpons. should I be concerned? This has happened 5 times now. i am concerned something could be wrong with her head?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 1 hour later

It appears that he is in pain. The pain could be in one or more of the several structures, both outside and obvious, or inside and hidden, such as the external ear, the mastoid bone, the jaw-skull joint, the orbit (bony shelter for the eyeball), the nerves that supply sensation to the face (this is called neuralgia or nerve pain), the soft tissues that are under the skin, or still other structures. Sometimes, even pain from the upper jaw teeth can be felt on the side of the head or in the ear of the same side. Because his episodes are only 10 seconds long, you are unable to show it to the doctor. What you can do is to take a video of his episode with your camera-cell phone or any handy camera, and then show THIS to the doctor. It will help immensely in the diagnosis.

Apart from painful conditions, such behaviour could also be an attention-seeking behaviour if a child feels that his near and dear ones are ignoring him. Hence, if no physical cause turns up, even after investigations are done, then he should be seen by a child psychologist.

Do you need to investigate? I'd say yes, as he will need at least some basic tests like a blood count, skull X XXXXXXX (side view) etc. Later, if, God forbid, this doesn't reduce or go away, he may need an MRI test to uncover ant physical illness.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

With best wishes and regards,

Dr. Taher
Follow-up: Left side head ache for a child, asked to wait for symptoms. What causes this? 23 minutes later
Could it be ice picking headaches? I read that children can get these?
Hello again XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing back.

The characteristics seem to match on a first look, but remember that she is only 2 and a half years old, an age that is too young for migraine or a similar problem, barring exceptions, which can occur in any medical illness.

The following link gives you useful information about such or similar illness. WWW.WWWW.WW
Wishing your child good health.

Dr. Taher