Left ovary contains avascular cyst with septum, no blood flow in septum. Surgical removal of ovary or cyst ?

Question
My left ovary contains a 20mm avascular cyst which has a septum within. no blood flow was seen in the septum.
Should I have the ovary removed? or just the cyst?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 3 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for posting the query.

Treatment depends on your age, the type and size of your cyst, and your symptoms,
You can wait and be re-examined in one to three months if you have no symptoms and an ultrasound shows you have a simple, fluid-filled cyst.

You may consider taking birth control pills to reduce the chance of new cysts developing in future . Oral contraceptives offer the added benefit of significantly reducing your risk of ovarian cancer, the risk decreases the longer you take birth control pills.

The size of cyst more than 6 cm is arbitrary level at which surgery is frequently recommended as it usually causes pain and may undergo rupture.

Cysts can be removed without removing the ovary in a procedure known as a cystectomy and removal of the one affected ovary and leaving the other intact in a procedure known as oophorectomy. Both procedures may allow you to maintain your fertility if you're still in your childbearing years.

So consult OBG specialist, they will advice you medical line of treatment , if it does not regress then they will think about surgery, cystectomy.

Hope I have answered all your questions. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Regards.

Follow-up: Left ovary contains avascular cyst with septum, no blood flow in septum. Surgical removal of ovary or cyst ? 2 hours later
I am 51 years of age and have consulted an OBG who recommends I have the left ovary removed as it's not a simple cyst. I may become menopausal after that as the right ovary no longer has any eggs in it.
Just wondering if it's necessary to remove the whole ovary or if he could just remove the cyst?
Appreciate your opinion on this matter.
Thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 16 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for the follow up.

As it is not a simple cyst and as you are in menopausal age group i.e. 45 to 55.

You might be knowing that menopause means ovaries stop producing eggs and you have mentioned that right one is not producing the eggs, the left may soon follow.

You can have the ovary removed since in a short while they will not be capable of producing eggs.

Kindly follow the OBG specialist advice.

Regards.