Left leg is smaller than right and muscle mass looks thinner. Suggest the treatment?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My left leg is smaller than right and muscle mass looks thinner - what can I do to help? I am 63 years old
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may be NORMAL or related to MS.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

This is just to let you know that the muscle mass in both upper and lower limbs of a right handed person is more than his left side and is considered as Normal owing to the maximum usage of right sided muscles in a right handed person.

If you have any symptoms like tingling & numbness, blurring of vision, problems with mobility & positional balance, muscle weakness and tightness then there is likely possibility that you are suffering from Physiotherapy of the affected muscle groups in the form of TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) may be of some help in improving muscle tone & strength.

A detailed clinical examination by a Neurophysician is essential and appropriate investigations like EMG (electromyogram) and Nerve conduction studies are needed to establish a correct diagnosis of your problem.

Hope I have justified your query. I welcome any clarification.