Left leg affected with polio in childhood. Walking with the help of calipers. Suggest an operation to walk without calipers?

Hello Sir/Madam, my left leg effected with polio virus when I am 4yrs old. Now I am 28 Yrs. I can walk myself with calipers without anyone support or sticks. The polio effected leg is weak but have sensation overall and I can move the leg. The length of two legs are also same. Kindly suggest any operation required so that I can walk without calipers. Thanks in advance.
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
surgery is not successful, only physiotherapy advd

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
The weakness from Polio is only motor in nature so universally the sensation is never affected.
The virus destroys the pyramidal system in spine which send impulse to muscles and so muscle get secondary atrophy due to lack of impulse from spinal cord.
The pyramids once destroyed do not regenerate just like other parts of the nervous system.
You can understand the surgeries are not successful due to this reason.
You are lucky that with calipers you are able to live an independent life.
You should exercise and do regular physiotherapy of the affected limb to maintain some bulk and tone.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Follow-up: Left leg affected with polio in childhood. Walking with the help of calipers. Suggest an operation to walk without calipers? 5 hours later
Thank You for your kind and quick response. I look forward for a good Physiotherapist.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
orthopedic physiotherapist will be right person

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
I think physiotherapy for maintaining the muscle mass and tone will be a good choice.
Hope you will gain a good health.