Left in tampon, smelling bad. Should I get it checked immediately or wait till regular PAP smear?

Infertility Specialist
Question
I left a tampon in a day and half by accident. It now smells bad for a few days. I can go in tomorrow to check or just wait till my reg pap smear in a few days. I'd like to wait if I can since it will be more money if I go tomorrow but will it make a difference. And what sort of health issue could this be and how serious
8
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 hours later

Tampoon left inside can be a source of infection and foul smell is a feature of infection.

It would be better to rule out infection at the earliest, so consulting a gynecologist as early as possible is advisable. Untreated infection can spread to involve other organs. I recommend early treat both to avoid spread of infection and to avoid tissue damage as a result of complications.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol.

Follow-up: Left in tampon, smelling bad. Should I get it checked immediately or wait till regular PAP smear? 27 hours later
Well the smell seems to be getting fainter and onlybl I stick my finger in do I smell anything. The tampon was left in wed thurs. My pap smear is this coming thurs. So will a week that I waited have been long enough to spread to organs or cause tissue damage? Or should I just go in tomorrow (wed). Are these common infections and organ damage common or likely after leaving a tampon in. Would I be showing other symptoms? I have only the smell

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 10 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

Apart from infection spreading, my concern is that PAP smear cannot be done if infection is present in your vagina & cervix. Pap smear will be inflammatory.

Hence, I suggest you are treated for the infection before Pap smear. It helps in reducing dangers of infection as well as gets a pap smear without much difficulty.

I hope I answered your query.

Please accept my answer if no more queries.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Left in tampon, smelling bad. Should I get it checked immediately or wait till regular PAP smear? 12 hours later
Well I'm sure she will check for infection before the pap smear. I'll let her know what happened before. I was just hoping to ease my mind can infection spread within a week. I could walk into but I have limited cash and phobia of doctors. So I'd prefer just to go thurs if its not going to make much difference. I need to know basically how quick these things van spread. Is it pid that may be the complication or other things

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 15 minutes later
You are right.
I am concerned about PID. These infections do spread in a week. A course of antibiotics after examination prevents PID. Nothing major will happen but PID is definitely a concern.
I recommended seeing doctor for this reason.
I hope I answered your query.
Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol