Left hand Xray of child showing growth plates are wide open. Parents also were late bloomers in growth. How tall will the child be?

Endocrinologist
Question
My son Is 15yrs 5 months and weighs 155lbs and his bone age is 15yrs old. the standard deviation is 14,2 months, his left hand x-ray growth plates are still wide open. I am 6'4 and his mother is 5'7. his 2 younger brother are in the 95% on the growth charts but this son has been around the 75%-80%. Our doctor said she cannot say with certain and did not want to go on the record ,but possibly believed he would be 6'1 to 6'3. She mentioned that he was a late bloomer category type kid. Both my wife and I were also late bloomers in growth as we grew an inch or 2 after 17 yrs old. Can you tell me how tall he will be. I would hope an endocrinologist can answer this. We just had his physical this week with x-ray.
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I need height in cms.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir, Hi ! I understand your concern. I will tell you the predicted height for your son but please tell me his present height in cm. I would like to know your and your wife's height in cm and not in foot. The conversion from feet to cms are not correct. Regards!

Follow-up: Left hand Xray of child showing growth plates are wide open. Parents also were late bloomers in growth. How tall will the child be? 45 hours later
my son is 176.53 cm and my wife is 170.18 cm and I am 193.04cm
hi doctor,

have you looked at the information I gave you and the x rays attached?

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Out of town , will be back in my clinic by evening

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir, Hi! sorry I could not answer your query as I was out of town and my atlas to calculate predicted height was at my clinic. I will get back to my clinic by today evening and will answer you by evening. Sorry for the delay. Regards!

Follow-up: Left hand Xray of child showing growth plates are wide open. Parents also were late bloomers in growth. How tall will the child be? 7 hours later
Thank you for your immediate response! no problem! Take your time and I hope I have everything you need to evaluate!

Regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
182.3 cm

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir

Hi!

Thanks for understanding my situation.
Now as per B&P charts, final height for your son would be around 182.3 cm. variation being 2.5 cm on either side.

Regards!

Follow-up: Left hand Xray of child showing growth plates are wide open. Parents also were late bloomers in growth. How tall will the child be? 1 hour later
So you believe that from that x-ray and info that he will grow only 2.5 inches in 4 years? Can you tell me what your basis or what study you are using so I have a understanding?

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is just an estimate.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir, This is just an estimate. As per Mid Parental Height, your son is likely to be 188.11cm +/- 6.5 cm i.e. he will be somewhere between 180.11 - 196.11 cm. As per his X - XXXXXXX he is showing a normal skeletal growth according to his chronological age. (Greulich & Pyle Atlas). Now with skeletal age matching chronological age and applying Bayley and Pinnau scale his predicted height comes to 182.3 cm. with variation of 2.5 cm on either side. So if we take the best options he would be 185 cm. Regards!